Q: Is there on-campus housing available to graduate students?

There is very limited on-campus housing, but priority is given to participants of the Study Abroad Program.

Q: Does Brandeis provide resources to help me find off-campus housing?

Yes, the Graduate Student Services Office offers many resources that can be used to find off-campus housing. Go to the following link for more information:

Other useful resources:,, and house-hunting weekends during the summer.

Q: What areas do students typically live in?

For students without a car, Waltham and Porter Square in Cambridge/Somerville are popular choices. In Waltham, students often choose to live within walking distance of campus or close to one of the Bran Van stops. Students with a car can choose to live in any of the surrounding communities, but often prefer Cambridge or Somerville because of the large student population.

Q: Do I need a car?

While many students do have cars, it is not necessary to have one to take part in IBS activities and be an active member of the community.

Q: How do I get an on-campus parking pass?

Go to the Public Safety Office in Stoneman Building, or you can apply online:

Q: How do I get a parking pass for a guest?

Contact the Public Safety Office, or see the guard in the Information Booth at the University entrance.

Q: What is the process for buying a car? Can I drive without a US license? How do I get a US license?

The best source for answers regarding International Driving Permits, International Driver Licenses and Driving Privileges for Foreign Licensed Drivers is listed here:

Q: Where do students eat on campus?

There is a cafe at IBS itself, an Einstein Bros. Bagels in the Shapiro Student Center or two cafeterias - Sherman and Usdan.

Q: How do I get a US ID? Do I really need to take my passport when I go to the bars?

Anyone can apply for a Massachusetts State ID at the local RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles). This, if you don't have a Massachusetts driver's license works quite well. Otherwise, you will have to carry, and show your passport any time you need to cash a check or buy a drink. It's preferable to get a Mass ID and leave your passport safely locked up at home.