Math 101a (Algebra I)
Updated: 12/22/07, 1:20pm.
What is new: Answers to HW 09
What is next: Combine files, write introduction, clean up website.
- The book will be Serge Lang "Algebra," 4th edition.
(Contents, page numbers and layout are identical to the 3rd edition as far as I can tell. Introduction and references are different.) There will be additional material for which detailed notes will be handed out and posted on this webpage. I will assume that students have already seen groups, rings and fields (Math 30ab) but I will review the basic definitions and theorems.
- We will cover the following topics:
- Groups (Chapter I): solvable and nilpotent groups.
- Category theory (I.11) plus: representable functors and the Yoneda lemma.
- Rings and modules (Chap II, III): fundamental theorem for principal rings.
- Tensor products and multilinear algebra (Chap XVI)
- Fields and Galois theory (Chap IV,V,VI): Things you didn't learn the first time.
- There will be no quizzes or tests. The grade is based on weekly HW and ``class participation.''
You will get a letter grade for each homework.
- Kiyoshi Igusa
- Goldsmith 305
- Office hours (subject to change): MWR 10-11 (before class), MWR 12-12:15 (after class), MW 1:15-2 and by appointment.
- Phone 63062.