Ling 100 Schedule of lectures and assignments
Here's the tentative schedule for the Waltham Speech Project: [pdf]
The schedule below shows the topics, assigned readings, exams, and homework
due dates for the Fall 2009 offering of
Linguistics 100: Introduction to Linguistics.
See also the course syllabus.
- Click on the links for the
online lecture notes and additional web-accessible information. This information will be duplicated on the LATTE course webpage
- For some special
characters, your browser must be able to read the Unicode format.
- Links to homework assignments are also provided (answers for homeworks will only appear on LATTE, not here).
- Assigned readings will be added and revised as the course progresses! Please make sure to check this page every week.
Be aware that the lecture and homework links will often not function until
we reach that point in the semester.
PLEASE READ: a study guide for the course, with the list of topics we will cover.
Week of 9/21
- Structure of sound - phonemes, allophones, and rules
[outline of the lecture]
- Homework 5 [pdf] due Thursday, Oct. 8 - start NOW, do not wait till next week!
Audio for "syllabification" is here
Week of 10/5 - No class Monday Oct 5 - Sukkot
- Morphology: the structure of words [outline]
- Homework 6 [pdf] due Thursday, Oct. 15
Week of Oct 12
- Morphophonology. Morphology and other
parts of language.
- Waltham Speech Project - tales from the trenches. Midterm review
Week of Oct 19
- Syntax 1: structure of English sentences [outline]
Week of Nov 2
- Syntax 3: beyond English
Week of Nov 16
- Language variation. Languages and dialects
- Homework 9 [pdf] due Wednesday, November 25
Week of Nov 23 - No class Thursday Nov 26 - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Historical linguistics: in search of the first language.
- Homework 10 [pdf] due Wednesday, December 2
Week of Nov 30 - No class Thursday Dec 3 - Study day
- Language, thought and culture.
Final review - study days, exact time and date TBD
Monday, Dec. 14 10am - Waltham Speech Project concluding event, Goldsmith (Math) building, Room 317
NOTE TIME CHANGE!